T.K.M College of Engineering was crystallized in form and substance in 1956 and Dr.N.Rajendra Prasad, the first President of Independent India, the College was formally inagurated by Prof. Humayun Kabir the Hon'ble minister for Scientific and cultural Affairs on 3rd July 1958. This is the first private grant-in-aid Engineering College in the State.
The college is located in Kilikollur, a beautiful suburb of the historic coastal town of Kollam on the Kollam-Schencottai road. The College is six kilometeres away from Kollam junction and the institution is within easy reach, as a number of K.S.R.T.C as well as private buses ply touching the College. The College also has its own bus for the transportation of College students. Direct trains connect Kollam to all imporatnat cities of the Country. The international airport at Thiruvananthapuram is only 70 Kms away and the Kochi Harbour is 60 Kms north.
The silver jubilee of the College was celebrated with elegance in 1983. In memory of this a new building was constructed for the central library with all modern facilities.The College started with a student strength of 120 and a faculty of six offering courses in Mechanical, Civil, and Electrical Engineering and has an enviable reputation of being one of the premier technical institutions in the country. At present the College has a strength of more than 2000 students with about 200 staff members supported by 136 non-teaching staff.
THANGAL KUNJU MUSALIAR COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING,
PHONE: 0474 - 2712024, 2713126, 2713129
FAX: 91 - 474 - 2712023
Abstract from Handbook 2001- 03, TKMCE.